Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A cornucopia of music

Expect some recommendations in the near future. Tim Mangan, our classical music critic at the Register, had to move his workplace from one side of the building to the other last week, so he decided to cull through some of the hundreds of CD review copies he has gotten in the last couple of years, and gave them away to anybody who promised at least to listen to them. I took about a hundred of them, and am enjoying listening so far. I got plenty of old classics (Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Brahms, Mahler, etc) but made a special effort to pick up 20th century composers, especially Americans, with whom I had some passing familiarity from reading and occasionally hearing them on the radio, but didn't have many CDs of my own. Also picked up a lot of choral music. I'm in musical heaven.

No comments: