Monday, February 04, 2008

The Improbable Sen. McCain

Here's a link to the piece I wrote for Sunday's Register Commentary section on John McCain. Perhaps I'm fooling myself, but I somehow have the feeling that he might not be as inevitable now as I thought when I wrote it and as all the pundits seem to think. I think there's a chance Romney could realistically stay in the race after tomorrow -- not that he's any great prize. My utopian scenario might be that Ron Paul would start beating Huckabee (as he did in the Maine caucuses Saturday, pulling 19 percent to Huckabee's 6), but he was the only one besides Romney-and-surrogates who even went to Maine; the others conceded it to Romney -- neighboring state and all) and begin to approach the Romney-McCain numbers and establish his supporters as people whose views must be considered. What I'm afraid of is that with the media focusing on the two frontrunners so intently, people who might have considered voting for Paul will start thinking of it as a "wasted vote."

Hmmm. Maybe it would be better for McCain to clinch it tomorrow. Perhaps then more potential Paul supporters would actually vote for him if they considered the issue decided already.

No comments: