Thursday, February 07, 2008

As I was saying ...

. . . or writing, actually, before I was rudely interrupted by a computer (mine) going a little haywire (my tech savvy is such that my wife had to look it over and run the virus-catching program) last night, I put several items on the Register's Eye on on the Empire blog yesterday, about Gates declining to estimate closely how much the Iraq war might cost next year, the CIA admitting publicly that it waterboarded 3 al-Qaida detainees in 2002 and 2003 and more. Didn't have time to do it today because of Romney's CPAC speech withdrawing from the GOP presidential race, about which I had to write an editorial for tomorrow. Then one on waterboarding for Sunday. I like busy days, but there's so much out there that seems to invite comment just now and only so much time in a day.

Romney struck me as a businessman deciding to cut his losses. I'd be surprised if he doesn't have 2012 in mind, but I have no inside information. I was fascinated (though TV might not have given a fully accurate picture) at how this crowd of supposedly hard-core conservatives rolled over for McCain. My old colleague Harold Johnson used to say that Republicans love to "touch the purple." So if McCain is it, they'll prostrate themselves before power. Or even the prospect of power. It's not the monetary corruption that ruins a movement but the intellectual corruption. The leader-worship is almost Stalinesque.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alan:

I was wondering how "old" your old collegue Harold Johnson might have been. I am trying to find out some information about my uncle who passed away several years ago, who was in the military, a strong republican, and possibly part of an intellignece group. Please respond to me if this might be the same Harold Johnson.