Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Neocons join Giuliani campaign

As if there weren't enough reasons to be fearful of Rudy ("freedom is authority") Giuliani as a potential president, this Newsweek story offers yet another. Seems all the neocons that dragged (or helped to drag) the country into the Iraq war and now lust after military action against Iran are flocking to the Giuliani campaign. The godfather, Norman Podhoretz, who recently wrote a lengthy article praying the Bushlet would attack Iran, is there, of course. But there's also Martin Kramer, Stephen Rosen of Harvard (close to Bill Kristol), Bob Kasten, Daniel Pipes.

In Podhoretz's words: "because his view of the war -- what I call World War IV -- is very close to my own. And also because he has the qualities of a wartime leader, including a fighting spirit and a determination to win." Interesting that Dimitri Simes of the Nison Center (!) is critical: "Their foreign-policy manifesto seems to be 'We're right, we're powerful, and just make my day.' He's out-Bushing Bush."

Like Bush, of course, Giuliani has zero -- zero -- foreign policy experience. He kept his head as mayor after 9/11 and attended a lot of funerals, held a lot of hands. That's it. That's all there is. Well, there's self-righteous bellicosity too, of course.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

4 comments:

Brian said...

He is Bush doubleplusbad.

We have always been at war with Eastasia (or was it Iran, or perhaps Iraq?).

Well, they are all Hitlers, as far as I am concerned. My favorite movie is Boys from Brazil.

Anonymous said...

Call Nancy Pelosi @ 1-202-225-0100 say IMPEACH.---Mike Meyer

Brian said...

Hey, Alan have you been on one of these junkets to Israel?

Link.

Have you been offered one?

I didn't know reports were given such junkets as well as politicians.

Is there anyone left who is not tainted!

Alan Bock said...

Brian: I've never beeen invited on an AIPAC junket to Israel, and I'm pretty sure my newspaper wouldn't let me accept one. However, I did do a junket to Israel courtesy of the Moonies, but only beecause I was invited as a speaker. Enjoyed the one-day layover in Amsterdam as well. If you ever get the chance to visit the Van Gogh Museum don't pass it up.