Sunday, February 25, 2007

Good for Marty

I was a little suprised at myself at how pleased I was to see Martin Scorsese finally get a Best Director Oscar. I haven't seen the film, and since I'm not that crazy about gangster movies I probably won't, unless it's years later on DVD. But there's little question Scorsese is a director who has deserved to have an Oscar for a good long time.

The Jennifer Hudson win was a nice story, but raises a question I think I saw addressed on the New Republic Oscar blog. Does singing constitute acting? Frank Sinatra could sell a song like nobody else, wrenching all possible emnotion from it, but let's face it, he was only an adequate actor. Jennifer Hudson certainly sold that crucial song in "Dreamgirls," and her story was inspiring. But I'm not sure she was given enough actual acting to do for us to know just how good an actor she is. I hope she proves to be terrific.

And good on Forrest Whittaker.

No comments: