Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Bruins squeak through

I know it's atavistic and all, but I still, all these years later, love it when my old school is successful at sports. So I loved it tonight that UCLA beat USC in basketball, 70-65. I was worried about this game, because USC has its best team in years and almost beat us last time the two teams played. They had to be motivated. And sure enough, they led for most of the game. UCLA just couldn't find the bottom of the basket for the first half of the first half. The Bruins climbed back to be behind only 30-29 at halftime, but I don't think they finally took the lead until there were about six minutes left.

I think losing that lead and then the game at Stanford two weeks ago may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. The Bruins have been pretty fired up since then. They didn't play their best game tonight (though you have to give the SC defense credit). But they did well enough to win.

I think it's great that both major LA universities have good teams this year, but I'm inordinately pleased that the Bruins found a way to win tonight.

No comments: