Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Farewell K-Mozart

I was saddened Monday night when I discovered, on my way to chorus rehearsal, that KMZT, or K-Mozart, which has played classical music since Los Angeles' previous commercial classical music station, had become Go-Country 105, and now playes ... well, you know.

I have long appreciated the fact that Los Angeles had a commercial classical music station, although I've met a few of the announcers over the years and I knew the owners had made a conscious decision to make less money than the full potential of the spot on the dial might have made possible. And it did seem to me that for the last year or so it had fewer commercials than was probably healthy. They have a right to change formats, of course, and I'm sure a country music station will be more lucrative, but it still makes me sad.

Incidentally, my chorus, the Temecula Vintage Singers, will be giving a concert April 7 at 2:00 p.m. at the new Community Theater in Old Town Temecula (www.temeculatheater.org for tickets). We'll be doing Vivaldi (the "Gloria), Bach and Handel. Classical isn't all we do but I'm glad to have the opportunity to do it at all.

No comments: