Sunday, February 22, 2009

Nice night at the Oscars

I have seen none of the movies nominated so have no basis for an opinion on any of the winners, though everybody I've talked to who has seen "Slumdog Millionaire" was quite taken with it. For reasons I don't quite fathom, however, I usually watch the Oscars, and I thought this show was a cut or three above usual. Hugh Jackman singing and dancing was terrific. I liked that they had several musical numbers, and even the collages were pretty good. Do they have to work on making the Oscars more glamorous during hard economic times. There's evidence that beer sales are down, which may be a sign that the recessions will be harder and deeper than anybody had hoped. So will we have to compensate with the pseudo-glamor of the movies, as so many Americans did in the 1930s?

"A cel;ebrity is one who is known to many persons he is glad he doesn't know." -- H.L. Mencken

No comments: