Wednesday, May 28, 2008

McClellan: just a few words

I obviously haven't read the book yet, though the publisher says a review copy is on the way. But although I'm sure there's a fair amount of self-serving in former White House press secretary Scott McClellan's new book, "What Happened" -- and he was a lousy press secretary, though he may have been operating with a guilty conscience -- there's enough of a serious nature there to make it worth some attention. I hope I'm not just having my own view of the Bushlet reinforced, but unreflective, equating stubbornness with strength, capacity for gross self-deception sure sounds like Bush to me. If he really had the grandiose and foolish Wilsonian vision in mind from the outset but decided he had to sell it with the pipsqueak danger posed by Saddam and a hope that WMD would be found, that's pretty mendacious.

No comments: