Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Downtown San Antonio

It's interesting. Although San Antonio's Riverwalk is a wonderful and popular place to walk, eat and have a drink -- moderately crowded at midnight last night -- much of the rest of the downtown area, apart from the luxury hotels, looks only moderately healthy. I saw several buildings that were boarded up, and most of the buildings themselves obviously had some age and wear on them. A few even looked marginally seedy. That's similar to many of the downtowns I've seen in America. Downtown in America -- or at least that's my impression -- is no longer the center of things, if it ever really was. Apart from the trip from the airport I didn't see all that much of the suburbs, but I got the distinct impression that most of the real action is on the outskirts or the suburbs.

No comments: