Saturday, July 24, 2010

Uneventful chemo

It would be just too churlish to say I'm sort of disappointed, so I won't. But almost 48 hours after receiving chemotherapy on Thursday, I have experienced none of the possible side effects -- nausea, fatigue, diarrhea, etc. -- the preparatory pamphlets said were possible. Of course Dr. Saegal's nurses included an anti-emetic (Aloxi) and a steroid (Decodran) in the IV cocktail I received. I also had by my own back-up. The chemo is Gemzar.

This has got to count as good news. Even the recent literature suggests that most people find chemo at least a bit of an ordeal. If it does the job of killing any and all cancer cells without unpleasant side effects, all the better! This, combined with the 5-year-survival rate news we got from Dr. Drazin -- 70% without chemo if I understood correctly -- has me feeling very good about being completely cancer-free.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Alan --
glad to hear things are uneventful thus far! best wishes!

Alexia