Thursday, July 30, 2009

One of those international Facebook moments

I had a moment last week that sort of brought home to me some of the potential of social networking sites like Facebook, which I joined about a month ago after some prodding. I was looking at posts when I noticed that somebody named Abdallah wanted to chat with me, so I responded and we did so for about 15 minutes. Turns out that he's a high school student in Ghana who would like to go to college in the States but doubts if he'll be able to afford it, even though his mother is in the U.S. (NY). I didn't inquire into what might be a complicated situation. Anyway, we chatted and I think we'll chat again. Pretty cool! I'm not what you would call a techno-geek (actually more of a late adopter), but I'm learning.

No comments: