Sunday, September 07, 2008

Revolutionizing football or ruining it?

Now for something quite different. I've been mulling this concept since I first read about it, but I guess I'll have to see a game before I form a strong opinion. A couple of football coaches at Piedmont High in Northern California have come up with an offensive scheme called A-11, so named because all 11 players appear to be eligible for a pass. The base sets "use two quarterbacks lined up at least seven yads behind center. There are only three on the offensive line, with six receivers split wide. It's said to work for smaller schools who don't have many behemoths for the offensive line but plenty of "skill" players. I will have to see it played before forming a judgment, but it sounds innovative enough that it might just stick around. The T-formation was revolutionary when it first began; so was the forward pass. Maybe it has staying power.

No comments: