Saturday, September 13, 2008

L.A. train crash horrific

You'll pardon me if I find the story about the terrible train crash in Chatsworth of more than mere academic interest. I was off work today (routine medical check-up, not sparked by anything except age and the length of time since the last one) but I take the train in to work every day, from Corona (after riding a bus) to Santa Ana. Chatsworth is about as far on the other side of downtown L.A. as Corona is to the east, so it was a long way away and I doubt if it disrupted the schedule of the train I ordinarily take. But a head-on collision with a freight train, apparently both going at a pretty good speed, that injured around 70 and a death toll expected to rise above 20? I already avoid riding in the front car of a train, even if there's an engine in front. I will henceforth avoid complaining about sometimes mysterious stops that mess up the schedule by as much as 5 or even 10 minutes. They're almost always to avoid such collisions, so stop away!

No comments: