Monday, October 08, 2007

Waiting . . . then Blackwater

I don't know whether it's the Register Web site or something with my connection, but I can't get it to display a few more things I want to link to. We'll wait a while.

Meanwhile, the fact that the Iraqi government is still insisting on kicking Blackwater out of the country and having the Blackwater contractors (all right, mercenaries, but there's not necessarily anything wrong with that) be turned over to the Iraqi government for prosecution suggests that hatred of Blackwater is perhaps the only thing that can unite Iraqis. Maybe that's not so bad. I don't know if this is a major turning-point in the war, presaging an Iraqi government ann0ouncement that it wants U.S. troops out by a date certain and the U.S., not really respecting "sovereignty" because it really wants to attack Iran, as Justin Raimondo has suggested. But it's a sign that the widespread Iraqi discontent with the U.S. occupation, of which Blackwater is only the most recent symbol, is starting to find expression in the Iraqi government. Let's hope the U.S.government can recognize it as a good development, but I fear it won't.

No comments: