Sunday, March 25, 2007

Au revoir, George Michael

He is playing it upbeat, but some of the stories I have read make me wonder whether George Michael, host of the long-running Sunday night show, "The Sports Machine," is a little bitter at having his show canceled after, I guess, some 27 years. I remember George as a sportscaster on one of the Washington channels back when I was living in Babylon-on-the-Potomac, then was happy when I encountered his Sunday night show. He pioneered the extended all-sports wrap-up show before ESPN was in existence. Whenever I have been traveling, staying in some hotel or motel on a Sunday night, "The Sports Machine" has been what seemed like a welcome little piece of home -- even though I knew it was produced across the country from my home.

Anyway, thanks for the memories, George. Hope you have more to offer.

No comments: