Thursday, September 10, 2009

Bruins' next test likely tougher

As pleased as I am at UCLA winning its first game, I'm a bit concerned about Tennessee on Saturday. UCLA upset Tennessee in the opener last year, and the Vols will be out for revenge. Of course it turned out last year that Tennessee wasn't as good as preaseason pickers had thought (and the Bruins didn't do much the rest of the season to validate the initial optimism that first win brought). But although the Bruins finally handled San Diego State nicely, the defense did give up two quick touchdowns and it took the offense more than a quarter to get untracked -- and after that it wasn't as consistent as you might have liked.

I know, I know, lots of young players, first-game jitters, they have a game under their belts now, they understand Tennessee will be gunning for them. But I think they'll have to play well -- not necessarily dominant but close to it -- from the outset to beat Tennessee.

No comments: