Saturday, June 27, 2009

Arvo Part perfect for writing -- for me

I just finished my column for Antiwar.com, while listening to an album of shorter sacred pieces by the Estonian composer Arvo Part (the "a" should have an umlaut but I don't know if this program will do one -- Da Pacem, by Paul Hillier and the Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir. The CD includes a Da Pacem Domine from 2004, a Salve Regina and Nunc Dimittis from 2001, a Magnificat from 1989, and several other pieces. Part's music is deceptively simple, almost chant-like in places, generally quite calm, but with a cumulative power that at least for me really elevates the spirit. And since I understand the words only intermittently, it doesn't interfere with my thinking and writing. Not exactly just background music, but still quite soothing.

No comments: