Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Register on Gonzales

Here's a link to the Register's editorial on the resignation of Alberto Gonzales as attorney general. I'm hardly the first to say that he's about the last of the old Texas cronies, leaving the Bush administration largely in the hands of old Washington hands. This will be different for Bush, who places a great deal of emphasis and reliance on relationships -- particularly reltionships of long standing and unquestioned loyalty -- rather than being intellectually grounded.

There's just an outside chance he'll approach things differently without the comfort of cronies around every day. However, I still think he will insist on "staying the course" in Iraq, unfortunately, handing off a mess to his successor. I have no inside information, but I suspect the poor schlump still believes his own propaganda, and maybe even believes he'll experience a Truman-like resurgence in respect after he's out of office. Nothing's impossible, I suppose, but I doubt it.

No comments: