Wednesday, January 03, 2007

State funeral excess

I think my previous posts show that on balance I admired Jerry Ford, although I question his judgment on the Iraq war. If he was opposed to the military invasion of Iraq at the time, as he told Bob Woodward, why didn't he say something at the time? It might not have done any good, but it might have helped a few Republicans develop some spinal starch.

All the funeral hoop-te-do over what seems like two weeks now, however, have me questioning how much of this was necessary. We seem to want to turn our presidents -- even a president who was never elected and lost his bid to be elected to continue to serve to Jimmuh Carter, for heaven's sake -- into demigods and encourage near-worship. I was disgusted that some young lady on the news last night said that viewing the coffin in Grand Rapids was an "awe-inspiring" experience. If anything the experience should have encouraged some perspective, a recognition that president are mere mortals like the rest of us.

I like to think Jerry Ford might have shared my perception that the whole thing was a bit overdone.

No comments: