Sunday, August 17, 2008

Cheers for Jamaica, mon

I'm almost glad the Jamaicans did so well in the 100-meter, with Bolt wining decisively in the men's and Jamaican women sweeping the medals. I've never been there, but I have a special affection for Jamaica, not only because I simply love the lyrical accent, but because their morning news radio show, the "Breakfast Club" has the good taste to ask me to appear (by phone, alas) a few times a year, usually when something simply horrible is happening in the Middle East. They saw a piece I did on Iraqi history and ethnic divisions just before the war and somehow decided I was some sort of expert. Anyway, I'm happy for the country.

And we have a new benchmark in commentary. I don't know who the girl is who comments on women's diving is, and I don't especially want to know. But my wife, who is never wrong, has pronounced her "worse than Dick Button," and that is a status that in her mind is difficult to achieve.

No comments: